Friday, April 12, 2013

And we're "potty trained"... well, sorta

We've been trying to work on potty training for quite some time now, although it's been intermittent.  Lately, we've buckled down to try to get him to sit on the potty consistently.  He never minds sitting on the potty (especially in the beginning when he'd watch Cars as an incentive), but he never seemed to quite understand what I wanted him to do.  Every once in a while, he'd go on the potty and we'd be excited, as would he. However, in the past two days, he's seemed to have gotten it. 

Yesterday, I walked Thomas upstairs to sit on the potty before going to bed. Thomas sat on the potty, and just kept goofing around, swinging his head, laughing, etc.  After a good 15 minutes of sitting and waiting for him to go, I finally closed my eyes and prayed that God would give me the grace and patience to handle this. I opened my eyes to my adorable son, with his nose practically touching mine and a huge smile on his face. After a good laugh, I said, "Thomas, can you please put water in the potty?" He paused and concentrated and peed!!!!!!!! It was amazing!

This morning, I wanted to build on our success. As soon as I got him out of bed, I told him he had to go pee before we get breakfast. He walked over without a fuss and sat on the potty. He said, "Listen, it's coming," then stood up to show me. I congratulated him, but he said, "okay, I have to go more now," and he did. I was so proud.  Later that evening we had multiple more positive experiences and he seems to understand when he has to go and when he does not.

I'm sure Thomas will love me for posting this later in life. That's what mom's are for, I suppose. It's been a slow process, but it's come with some joys, like hearing a sweet boy cheer every time you flush a potty in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment